Gene Stratton-Porter State Historic Site Field of Interest Fund
The purpose of this Fund shall be to provide support for the 148 acres of the Gene Stratton-Porter State Historic Site in Rome City, Indiana.
Donor Fund Story:
Gene Stratton-Porter’s Cabin at Wildflower Woods, right on the shore of Sylvan Lake, is rich in history and brimming with beautiful nature. Affiliated with Indiana State Museums And Historic Sites, The Cabin is memorialized to preserve its historical significance and protect its bountiful nature.
Gene Stratton-Porter, Indiana’s most widely-read female author, accumulated around 50 million readers. She produced 12 novels, eight movie adaptations of her novels, seven nature studies, three poetry books, children’s books, and many magazine articles. Her works were heavily inspired by the gorgeous nature of Indiana and, specifically, the 148 acres of woods, trails, and gardens surrounding her cabin.
The site hosts nature walks, day camps, tours, and school group programs today. The goal of these programs is to encourage a love of nature and inspire through educating on the life of Gene Stratton-Porter.
The Gene Stratton- Porter State Historical Site Field of Interest Fund is designed to support the Gene Stratton-Porter State Historic Site in Rome City, Indiana.
Funding may be used for the following preferred categories/types of projects:
- Maintenance of the Fishing Line Trail (the portion that runs through GSP SHS only) – could include benches, water fountains, and other trail amenities.
- Transportation costs associated with school field trips to Gene Stratton-Porter State Historic Site.
- Restoration efforts in the GSP SHS formal gardens.
- Hilltop Drive roadside beautification projects (adjacent to GSP SHS).
- Restoration projects for Sower Farmhouse.
This grant would be available, but not limited to, to the following organizations:
- Gene Stratton-Porter State Historic Site via the Indiana State Museum and Historic Sites Corporation, or the Indiana State Museum and Historic Sites Corp successor i.e., the parent organization of the Gene Stratton-Porter State Historic Site
- Town of Rome City
- Advance Rome City
- Noble Trails
- Sylvan Lake Improvement Association
- Noble County Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Noble County Historical Society
Geographic Area We Serve
Noble County, Indiana
The application must be submitted via our online system by the deadline.